List:       busybox
Subject:    CGI script and Content-type change in 1.4.0
From:       Alexander Griesser <alexander.griesser () lkh-vil ! or ! at>
Date:       2007-01-31 8:28:42

Hi folks!

Another thing that broke when upgrading to 1.4.0 is the management
interface for my thinclients.

Previously, I used the following command to output a valid HTML header:

echo 'Content-type: text/html

<head>
...'

Now, with busybox 1.4.0, this doesn't work anymore.
I get exactly the same output as written above in firefox (IE7 works
fine).

I had a look at the changelog and found the following entry:

|| httpd: stop adding our own "Content-type:" to CGI output

Additionally, I found a cgi-example (httpd_index_cgi_example) inside
the busybox distribution that suggests do pipe all output generated
through "dd bs=4k" with the following comment:

# Pipe thru dd (need to write header as single write(),
# or else httpd doesn't see "Content-type: text/html"
# in first read() and decides that it is not html)

Why is this needed with the current busybox release or are there any
ways to work around this?
I don't really have a problem piping things through `dd`, but
personally, I don't think that having to do this is an improvement...

Could someone explain this to me in a way that I can understand this? ;)

best regards,
--
Alexander Griesser (Netzwerkadministration)
E-Mail: alexander.griesser@lkh-vil.or.at | Web: http://www.lkh-vil.or.at