List:       busybox
Subject:    Re: PATCH: ifupdown.c, udhcpc, and standalone shell
From:       "Gabriel L. Somlo" <somlo () cmu ! edu>
Date:       2006-09-28 23:31:45

On Thu, Sep 28, 2006 at 11:39:07PM +0200, Eric Spakman wrote:

> That looks pretty complicated from an users point of view and I also think

Well, as long as you keep on looking for the blessed clients if the
start/stop dhcp command lines weren't specified in 'interfaces', it
merely offers a way for people to specify exactly what they want to
run.

> it's not necessary. Why not keep the current dhcp code as is (before the
> patch) and implement a "manual" method (like in the upstream code):
<...snip...>
> In this manual mode you can call your own dhcp client scripting (like your
> example). This can also be used for other things than dhcp, so is a more
> generic solution.

See, that's what I meant when I said I'm no Debianite. I didn't know
Debian had that option, and I wouldn't really care about how dhcp_up
and dhcp_down works at all if I knew I could just use that instead... :)

Regarding dhcp clients -- Debian also has the luxury of having a
*standard* path for each program, so it can get away with knowing
that, e.g. /sbin/dhcpcd is always in /sbin and to look for it there
and nowhere else...

Regards,
Gabriel