List:       busybox
Subject:    Re: [RFC,
From:       Rob Landley <rob () landley ! net>
Date:       2006-09-25 22:24:57

On Monday 25 September 2006 8:22 am, Paul Fox wrote:
>  > > Do you imply that you will rip out all of coreutils, findutils,
>  > > modutils, networking etc since you plan to write a shell that does
>  > > potentiall use them?!
>  >
>  > No, but this would be the first x11 utility we'd added to the thing.  At
what
>  > point do we suck in xvidtune?  (Congratulations, you just convinced me
that
>  > it probably shouldn't go in.)
>
> that's silly.  resize never had anything to do with X11 in
> the first place.

man resize | tail -n 8
Reformatting resize(1), please wait...
AUTHORS
       Mark Vandevoorde (MIT-Athena), Edward Moy (Berkeley)
       Copyright (c) 1984, 1985 by X Consortium
       See X(1) for a complete copyright notice.

                                X Window System                      RESIZE(1)

> i think perhaps no one else on this list even
> knew resize existed until i brought it up last week, as solving a
> problem which someone mentioned they'd had.

Yup.  And of course the first potential solution presented to any problem is
where all thinking on the matter must immediately stop.

> it of course has
> nothing in common with xvidtune.  why do you insist on such
> hyperbole?

Because I'm -> <- this close to walking away from the project entirely?

Bruce "bad penny" Perens somehow talked the SFLC into having a conference call
with me and him and Eric.  I don't know why.  The idea of having to deal with
that prima donna's incessant tantrums (when I'd thought _twice_ now that he'd
gone away for good) is stressing me out enough that I had headaches all
weekend and couldn't get to sleep until 5 am this morning.  The man CREEPS ME
OUT.

I miss being a developer.  I miss being able to spend as much time writing
code as reading it.  I miss making purely technical judgements without having
to deal with politics.  I miss seeing a problem and being able to focus on
_solving_ it.  Being maintainer was never fun, but yesterday after dealing
with Bernhard in "small child demanding to help out in the kitchen" mode
(I.E. "I know nothing about shells, why won't you let me help with bbsh!?")
I really, really really wonder why I'm bothering.

I need to go do something else for a while.

Rob