List:       busybox
Subject:    [BusyBox] Init process shutdown
From:       jorgefm () cirsa ! com
Date:       2002-05-22 3:05:05

Hi !

This is my first question to the list. It's about the init process
shutdown.

I have a redhat 7.0 linux box with the kernel 2.4.10 in a X86.
I want to replace the sysv init process with the busybox init process,
but i don't want to delete the previous one. I choose from the lilo boot
loader
the configuration to load using the 'append' to change the init process.
I have modified the 'Config.h' to compile a few applications, and the list
i get
when i execute 'busybox' is the next:

busybox, halt, init, kill, killall, linuxrc, pidof, poweroff, ps, pwd,
reboot, reset, sleep

I have modified the init.c to change the next defines:

#define INITTAB            "/etc/inittab-busybox"
#define INIT_SCRIPT  "/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit"

Once it's compiled i have made the installation using 'install.sh
/bin/busybox' to copy the
files and make the links in '/bin/busybox'. Then i have modified the
inittab from busybox/scripts
and i have copied to /etc/inittab-busybox. The modifications are:

::sysinit:/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit

::askfirst:-/bin/sh
tty2::askfirst:-/bin/sh

::restart:/bin/busybox/sbin/init

::ctrlaltdel:/bin/busybox/sbin/reboot
::shutdown:/bin/umount -a -r
::shutdown:/sbin/swapoff -a

I can boot with this init process and i get to consoles. I can do anything
i want since i try
to reboot the machine. I have tried the CTRL+ALT+DEL, the
/bin/busybox/sbin/reboot, kill -SIGINT 1
The message showed is

sh-2.04# Starting pid 198, console /dev/console: '/bin/busybox/sbin/reboot'
reboot: no process killed

and i can continue with the console. Then i try with the sysv reboot and
the system warns about the unknown runlevel
and it mades a soft reboot but it throws the init again !! The only way to
reboot it's a hard reset !!

What am i doing wrong ??

Sorry for the message length ! and my bad english ! :-)

Jorge Fernandez
UNIDESA