List:       busybox
Subject:    Re: [BusyBox] Resolver problem with uClibc
From:       Geoffrey Espin <espin () idiom ! com>
Date:       2001-12-31 11:37:53

On Mon, Dec 31, 2001 at 06:04:07PM -0000, John Hall wrote:
> I've compiled busybox 0.60.2 statically against the latest stable version of
> uClibc on uClibc.org (0.9.8). I can't get any name resolution to work. My
> hosts file looks like this:
> When I try and ping something by name I get:
> # ping localhost
> ping: localhost: Resolver Error 0 (no error)
> # ping ns.local
> ping: ns.local: Resolver Error 0 (no error)
> Pinging by IP address does work.
> Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Do you have a "/etc/nsswitch.conf"?

I had this same kind of error with GNU libc, until following
Vladimir's suggestions.  If this recent (attached) message from
him isn't it, check the archive.

Geoff
--
Geoffrey Espin espin@idiom.com

Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2001 11:43:26 +0300
From: "Vladimir N. Oleynik" <dzo@simtreas.ru>
To: Alan Chandler <alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk>
Cc: busybox@opensource.lineo.com
Subject: Re: [BusyBox] Problem with networking and busybox
Sender: busybox-admin@opensource.lineo.com

Hi, Alan.

> /etc/host.conf
> order hosts,bind
> multi on
>
> /etc/hostname
> piglet.home
>
> /etc/hosts
> 127.0.0.1       localhost
> 10.0.10.20      piglet.home piglet
>
> /etc/networks
> localhost       127.0.0.0
> localnet        10.0.10.0
>
> /etc/resolv.conf
> search home
> nameserver 10.0.10.100
>
> ANY attempt to use nslookup (again busybox version) seems to fail with
> "***unknown host***" (I may have the number of * wrong), even piglet or
> piglet.home which should be looked up in the /etc/hosts file)

http://opensource.lineo.com/lists/busybox/2001-November/005051.html

And

/etc/nsswitch.conf

passwd:         files