List:       bugtraq
Subject:    Re: Outlook denial of service
From:       Aleph One <aleph1 () UNDERGROUND ! ORG>
Date:       1999-06-30 19:27:49

On Mon, Jun 28, 1999 at 02:52:34PM -0700, Nicholas W. Blasgen wrote:
> I tested it with Outlook 2000 with Windows 98 and had no problem.
>
> Nicholas Blasgen
> Refract Media
>
> "The hard part was figuring out how to destroy the
> physical universe. But I think we've solved that."
>   - Marcus Larry, 1999

As Neil Christie <neil@fissure.net> pointed out in private email
is this the fault of Outlook and not Qpopper. Here is what he
had to say:

The POP3 RFC suggests that duplicate UIDLs are acceptable for example
in the situation that there are two identical copies of 1 message in
a mailbox.

As such the fault is with Outlook etc in failing to handle this as
opposed to in qpopper for generating / allowing them.

Whether the POP server should accept incoming  UIDL headers in the
message or always generate its own is another issue.

 From ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc1939.txt

--
Aleph One / aleph1@underground.org
http://underground.org/