List:       bochs-dev
Subject:    Re: [Bochs-developers] Keyboard interception question
From:       Daniel Gryniewicz <dang () fprintf ! net>
Date:       2005-06-21 19:30:24

On Tue, 2005-06-21 at 10:16 -0700, Russell Miller wrote:
> Hi, I have a rather unique problem that I think bochs can solve, and I was
> hoping that you could point me in the right direction.
>
> I have a matrix programmable keyboard that has a DOS driver but no published
> protocols.  I can run the DOS driver through FreeDOS in bochs, but for some
> reason it can't communicate directly with the keyboard as it needs to to
> download the programming and upload it again when done.
>
> I would like to have a program running under linux that emulates a keyboard,
> and essentially acts as a proxy to interface directly with the keyboard -
> logging the communication that happens at the same time.  Is there any way to
> redirect the keyboard accesses to a linux userspace program?  I'm thinking
> maybe a named pipe may be a way, but I don't know how to configure bochs to
> write to that instead of the keyboard device.  Is there a way?
>
> Thanks.

>From the little I know about DOS drivers, I don't think this is
possible.  The problem is that DOS drivers access the hardware directly
by invoking BIOS function mapped into specific locations in memory.
These BIOS functions directly poke the harware.  That kind of hardware
access is not possible in protected mode in userspace, only in kernel
space.  You'd have to write a kernel level driver to directly emulate
the DOS hardware interface, and then export that to userpsace, and then
hook the output of the bochs BIOS to it.  My guess is that would require
enough information to write a real driver for Linux for the keyboard.

Daniel