List:       blackicedefender-general
Subject:    RE: [bidgeneral] Re: Compatibility with NAT/"broad-router"
From:       "Neil O. Helgeson" <neilolif () flash ! net>
Date:       2002-05-23 14:54:28

Hi;

 Regarding the statement: "It is almost pointless to run an IP based
firewall behind a NAT..,"

 Agreed.  ALMOST.

 One thing keeping a firewall running does for you is let you know when
somebody changed the settings on the router.  If you start getting hit, it's
time to visit the I.S. guys and whack them soundly round the head and
shoulders.

 This scenario recently happened to me, and BID notified me that the outside
was getting in..,

  Regards;

   Neil H.

Tied to your PC? Cut Loose and