List:       bitkeeper-users
Subject:    [Bitkeeper-users] promotion and file locking
From:       Dave Wilhardt <wilhardt () synergymicro ! com>
Date:       2003-12-02 2:21:59

Hello,

First the apogees if I missed the answers in the list archives to my
questions
below.

I have a few questions regarding how I can use BitKeeper to handle
branching
and file locking in general.

- Promotion Model
    How to I promote a developer's changes to a release repository.  Can
I take
    a changeset from a local cloned repository and integrate the
changeset into a
    release by changeset name/date?  Or do I need to manually use citool
on the
    developer's clone and create a new changeset for the parent?
    How can I easily take a changeset associated with a particular
customer and
    promote this work to a mainline build.

- How do I simultaneously handle X customers requiring Y different
features.
- How is it best to deal with rev locked customers - I'm assuming a tag
is, and
    whatever answer comes from the integration of the changeset
discussion above.

- How can I lock out particular developers until some "gate" is met?
Say my company's
    process is that a formal code review is required before a "push".
Can I enforce this
    through BitKeeper?

Thanks,

- Dave