List:       bitkeeper-users
Subject:    [Bitkeeper-users] Managing files in a home directory with BitKeeper.
From:       Daniel Pittman <daniel () rimspace ! net>
Date:       2002-04-08 8:08:06

I have been looking at BitKeeper recently, as a replacement for CVS when
it comes to source management. Overall I am very impressed by it all.

One of the big things that I was doing was managing a lot of the data in
my home directory -- configuration files, miscellaneous shell scripts
and the like, plus more complex Emacs configurations -- with CVS.

This gave me a nice history of what changed there and the like.
Obviously, there are some limitations to this, especially in the area of
renaming or moving files. CVS really didn't do well here, so I would
like to replace it with BitKeeper.

So far as I can tell I /should/ be able to get everything to work by
following this basic process, modulo additional backups and care:

1) bk setuptool /backup/bitkeeper/home
2) bk import -tCVS /var/cvs/home /backup/bitkeeper/home
3) modify the project BK config to have checkout: edit

At this point the bitkeeper repository in /backup/bitkeeper/home should
be populated and ready to run. I can check it out, work with it and the
like.

When checked out all files should be present in the directory and ready
to edit, which is what I want for my home directory.

Next, cleaning out the unneeded mess left over from CVS:

4) find /home/daniel -name CVS -type d -print0 | xargs -0 rm -rf
5) find /home/daniel -name .cvsignore -type f -print0 | xargs -0 rm -rf

Now, getting ready to drop in the BitKeeper meta-data over the top:

6) bk clone /backup/bitkeeper/home /tmp/home-work

After making sure that this has the right stuff -- files checked out,
etc, I can put it into place:

7) (cd /tmp/home-work; tar c) | (cd /home/daniel; tar xv)

Once that completes, the content of my home directory should be
acknowledged by BitKeeper as being a working version of the repository
in /backup/bitkeeper/home.

So, any holes in my logic?
        Daniel

--
The legal rules about fiduciary responsibility to stockholders basically say
that it is wrong, illegal, and actionable for a company *not* to rape someone