List:       bitcoin-dev
Subject:    [bitcoin-dev] BIP - Block75 - Managing max block size as we do difficulty
From:       luke () dashjr ! org (Luke Dashjr)
Date:       2016-12-15 1:48:23

Please use ASCII quotes in the Title. It is also too long (max size 44
characters).

Add missing headers:
  Layer: Consensus (hard fork)
  Comments-Summary: No comments yet.
  Comments-URI: TBD
  Type: Standards Track
  License: PD

It must be made at least technically sound. The BIP talks about adjusting the
maximum block size, but the specification only affects MAX_BLOCK_BASE_SIZE,
which does not actually affect the max block size at all. Either the
specification needs to implement the described goal (adjusting max block size)
or the motivation needs to be adjusted to explain why MAX_BLOCK_BASE_SIZE is
being adjusted.

It is missing a section on Backward Compatibility. This should address at
least the fact that this is *NOT* backward compatible, and ideally propose a
mechanism for establishing agreement from the entire community for its
deployment. Similarly, there is talk of 75%, but the algorithm presented does
not in fact implement 75%.

Finally, I am about to set BIP 2 to Active, so it would be preferable to
choose a copyright license from the choices in BIP 2.

When you're ready, feel free to open a pull request on
https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/ with the BIP in mediawiki format, named:
    bip-tkhan-block75.mediawiki

Thanks,

Luke