List:       bioc-devel
Subject:    [Bioc-devel] BiocManager updates / changes
From:       Marcel Ramos <marcel.ramosperez () roswellpark ! org>
Date:       2018-08-31 17:28:49

Dear bioc-devs,

Thank you to all maintainers who have made appropriate changes to their
packages *in devel*.

This is an ongoing effort to replace any outdated BiocInstaller,
biocLite, etc.
code from packages as we transition to `BiocManager` before the next
release.

You may have noticed a recent commit to your package. These commits are
the result
of a script to automatically replace a set number of lines of code with
BiocManager code.

These lines include `library(BiocInstaller)`,
`source("https://bioconductor.org/biocLite.R")`, and
`biocLite("pkgname")`.

All in all, we have changed about 314 packages from about 578 packages.
There are still
about 264 packages left with `BiocInstaller` and `biocLite` calls.

Please DO ensure that:

       * The language around these new changes is in concordance with the
actual code

       * You update your package to use BiocManager, if you haven't already

       * Your package is building and dependencies are accounted for

For a list of outstanding packages please see:
https://gist.github.com/LiNk-NY/44cc844a169d5d96c777a69037dae653

For example code see devel landing pages such as:
http://bioconductor.org/packages/devel/bioc/html/RaggedExperiment.html

Best regards,
Marcel

--
Bioconductor Core Team
Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center

On 07/13/2018 05:11 PM, Marcel Ramos wrote:
> Dear bioc-devs,
>
> About 4 weeks ago, I notified maintainers to make changes to their
> bioc-devel vignettes and package code to support the use of
> `BiocManager`.
>
> There are a number of packages that haven't made the transition in
> Bioc-devel.
>
> Please see this GitHub gist for a list of outstanding packages:
>
> https://gist.github.com/LiNk-NY/44cc844a169d5d96c777a69037dae653
>
> Best regards,
>
> Marcel
>
> Bioconductor Core Team
> Roswell Park Cancer Institute
> Dept. of Biostatistics & Bioinformatics
> Elm St. & Carlton St.
> Buffalo, New York 14263
>

> On 06/20/2018 12:23 PM, Marcel Ramos wrote:
> > Dear bioc-devs,
> >

> > A month ago we notified you about our "next generation" changes to
> > BiocInstaller.
> >
> > Thanks to all beta testers and those who provided feedback and
> > suggestions for a new package name.
> >

> > I am pleased to inform you that BiocManager is now on CRAN:
> > https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/BiocManager/index.html
> >

> > As mentioned in our last email, you can now install BiocManager using:
> >
> > ```
> > install.packages("BiocManager")
> > BiocManager::install("YourPackageNameHere")
> > ```
> >
> > Action Item:
> >
> > -     Please modify the vignettes in your bioc-devel packages to
> > reflect the use of BiocManager
> >

> > After the next couple of weeks or so, we will be identifying packages in
> > bioc-devel (3.8) that still
> > mention BiocInstaller / biocLite.
> >

> > Best regards,
> > Marcel
> >
> > Bioconductor Core Team
> > Roswell Park Cancer Institute
> > Dept. of Biostatistics & Bioinformatics
> > Elm & Carlton Streets
> > Buffalo, New York 14263
> >

> > On 05/09/2018 06:11 PM, Martin Morgan wrote:
> > > Developers --
> > >
> > > A preliminary heads-up and request for comments.
> > >
> > > Almost since project inception, we've used the commands
> > >
> > > source("https://bioconductor.org/biocLite.R")
> > > biocLite(pkgs)
> > >
> > > to install packages. This poses security risks (e.g., typos in the
> > > url) and deviates from standard R package installation procedures.
> > >

> > > We'd like to move to a different system where a base package, call it
> > > 'BiocManager', is installed from CRAN and used to install Bioconductor
> > > packages
> > >
> > > if (!"BiocManager" %in% rownames(installed.packages()))
> > > install.packages("BiocManager")
> > > BiocManager::install(pkgs)
> > >
> > > This establishes a secure chain from user R session to Bioconductor
> > > package installation. It is also more consistent with base R package
> > > installation procedures.
> > >
> > > BiocManager exposes four functions
> > >
> > > - install() or update packages
> > >
> > > - version() version of Bioconductor in use

> [...]

This email message may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information.  \
If you are not the intended recipient(s), or the employee or agent responsible for \
the delivery of this message to the intended recipient(s), you are hereby notified \
that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of this email message is \
prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender \
immediately by e-mail and delete this email message from your computer. Thank you. \