List:       bind9-users
Subject:    Re: Dynamic Zones - Update-Logging
From:       "Cricket Liu" <cricket () menandmice ! com>
Date:       2002-10-30 16:46:52

Markus Schreier wrote:
> can anyone recomend a good "howTo" or some reading on Dynamic zones or
> help me with my following questions.
>
> Logging:
> I get lines like the following in my log:
> --------- snip ----------------
> Oct 30 15:51:30.592 update: info: client 192.168.7.96#1575: updating
> zone '168.192.in-addr.arpa/IN': adding an RR
> --------- snip ----------------
> Is there a posibility to log, what this client realy put into the
> zone?

You can build the journalprint program in the BIND 9 distribution, then
use it to print the contents of the journal, which shows you what was
changed.  It doesn't show who made the change, though.

> Geting zonefiles messy:
> Leaving my nameserver alone for a while gives some entries which don't
> make much sense. Is there a posibility to get this cleaned up again?
> E.g. Some hosts stay in the Zone-Files even though they are turned of
> already.
> If the host gets a new ip next time being turned on, how can i ashure,
> that the update works out?

That's really up to the host or the DHCP server it uses.  One of those
needs to delete the old records.

cricket

Men & Mice
DNS Software, Training and Consulting
www.menandmice.com

The DNS and BIND Cookbook, available now!
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/dnsbindckbk/