List:       bacula-users
Subject:    Re: [Bacula-users] Multiplexing multiple jobs to tape
From:       "John Drescher" <drescherjm () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-08-31 12:14:23

>  Since tape is a linear medium, and not random-access, the only plausible
> way for what you suggest to work would be for Bacula to interleave data
> blocks from two or more backup jobs.
This is what spooling is for.

> At a minimum, this would require
> writing incredible amounts of data to the backend database to keep track of
> which blocks on a given tape belong to which portions of a given file from a
> given backup.
>
>  I very much doubt Bacula can do anything quite like that.

Spooling  and machine separation (I mean the director, storage and
database are on different multi processor servers with 4GB or more of
RAM) takes care of that.

>  You should probably spend more time looking into your network instead.

The harder part is feeding 120 MB/s over the network to the bacula-sd.
This will require at least 2 gigabit NICs on the bacula-sd device and
you would need to somehow get your jobs to load balance the data to
the different NICs.

On top of that  the spooling area (on the bacula-sd) will have to be a
RAID (0,5,6) because no single drive will read and write
simultaneously at that rate.

John