List:       bacula-users
Subject:    Re: [Bacula-users] Multiplexing multiple jobs to tape
From:       Mike Ruskai <thannyd () earthlink ! net>
Date:       2007-08-31 10:55:37

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

At 05:31 08/31/2007, Chris Howells wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I am trying to figure out whether bacula supports multiplexing multiple
>simultaneous backup jobs to the same tape - having googled, the results
>are inconclusive :)
>
>I am currently playing with an LTO-4 tape drive which has a raw data
>transfer rate of 120MB/sec. Clearly any single machine is going to have
>difficulty in maxing out the drive. I'd therefore like to try running
>backups from multiple machines to the drive simultaneously.

Since tape is a linear medium, and not random-access, the only
plausible way for what you suggest to work would be for Bacula to
interleave data blocks from two or more backup jobs.  At a minimum,
this would require writing incredible amounts of data to the backend
database to keep track of which blocks on a given tape belong to
which portions of a given file from a given backup.

I very much doubt Bacula can do anything quite like that.

You should probably spend more time looking into your network instead.