List:       bacula-devel
Subject:    Re: [Bacula-devel] Looks like a problem with 3.x Windows
From:       Graham Keeling <graham () equiinet ! com>
Date:       2009-05-12 8:19:40

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 05:24:30PM -0400, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> I've just installed several 3.0.1 Windows clients, and believe I may
> have run into a problem.  What I don't know is whether we have a
> documented solution or workaround for it yet.
>
> I'm using a systemstate.bat script as a ClientRunBeforeJob to run
> NTbackup to save the system state.  Long term, I'd prefer to get VSS
> working, but I'm not clear what I need to do on the Windows side to run
> VSS.  (Windows 2000 Pro SP4.)  Since the installation moves from
> c:/bacula to c:/Program Files/Bacula in 3.x, I naturally moved my
> systemstate script from c:/bacula/bin to c:/Program Files/Bacula/bin.
>
> And therein lies the problem.  I can't run it.  The ClientRunBeforeJob
> fails because of the space in Program Files.  The client tries to run
> c:/Program.  I've tried multiple variations trying to quote or escape
> the space, and I can't find any way that works.
>

> Do we have a documented solution or workaround for this?  If this
> doesn't work, no other ClientRunBeforeJob with a space in the pathname
> will work, either.

Here is what I am doing with bacula-2.5, and the quoting is rather silly. I'm
using RunScript rather than ClientRunBeforeJob, though I would guess that the
quoting would be the same:

Job {
  RunScript {
      RunsWhen = Before
      RunsOnClient = yes
      FailJobOnError = yes
      Command = "\"C:/Program Files/Bacula/bin/ClientRunBeforeJob.bat\""
  }
}

The quoting when trying to restore in bconsole is very silly too.

I found that you need to have three backslashes to quote a backslash, two to
quote each of *?[, and one to quote a double-quote!

I also use "" around everything because otherwise it thinks whitespace means
the end of the filename.

So, if I had a file named...

abc *?["\

...then I'd type this: