List:       bacula-devel
Subject:    Re: [Bacula-devel] translating  the bootstrap chapter
From:       Kern Sibbald <kern () sibbald ! com>
Date:       2007-09-25 12:32:12

On Monday 17 September 2007 22:05, Thomas wrote:
> a few questions about the bootstrap chapter:
> >  This is because the ones created at the end
> >  of the file, contain all files written to the Volume for that job. As a
> >  consequence, all the files saved to an Incremental or Differential job
> > will be restored first by the Full save, then by any Incremental or
> > Differential saves.
>
> at the end of the file should be at the end of the job ?

Yes and no.  It means that the new records for the Job are added at the end of
the file and they represent all the files written to the Volume for that job.

The sentence is probably not very clear, and there should be no comma in "at
the end of the file, contain ..."

> >  \footnotesize
> >  \begin{verbatim}
> >    ./console
> >    restore client=xxx select all
> >    done
> >    no
> >    quit
> >    Backup bootstrap file.
> >  \end{verbatim}
> >  \normalsize
> >  The above will not work if you have multiple FileSets because that will
> > be an extra prompt.
>
> the "done" is missing in the english version
> the example did not work if the __named client__ has more then one fileset,
> because of the extra prompt

OK, thanks.  Also the ./console should be a ./bconsole

> the chapter bootstrap.tex contains two "Final Example" :)
>
> >  \section{A Final Example}
> >  \index[general]{Example!Final }
> >  \index[general]{Final Example }
>
> an index entry named "Final Example" ? final example for what?

It probably should be "A Final Bootstrap Example" with corresponding indexes:
Bootstrap Example and Example!Bootstrap.

> >  If you want to see a *real* bsr file, simply fire up the {\bf restore}
> > command in the console program, select something, then answer no when it
> > prompts to run the job. Then look at the file {\bf restore.bsr} in your
> > working directory.
>
> in the working directory? maybe in the working directory of the dird on the
> dird-machine in /var/lib/bacula/ with a filename like
> backup-dir.restore.2.bsr

Yes that is more precise.

> >  If you want to extract or copy a single Job, you can do it by selecting
> > by JobId (code not tested) or better yet,
>
> is the code still untestet?

Yes.

> how to copy a job with bextract or bscan? unclear

With bextract there are a number of different ways using a bsr file.  For a
bscan, I'm not sure you can limit it to a single file ...

I've made the changes mentioned above in the English version

Regards,

Kern