List:       axp-redhat
Subject:    Re: GENERIC kernels (was: Re: disparities in hardware?)
From:       Richard Henderson <rth () cygnus ! com>
Date:       1998-12-31 8:54:40

On Wed, Dec 30, 1998 at 02:59:13PM -0700, Michal Jaegermann wrote:
> One "installation kernel" for all boards would be nice but, I am afraid,
> we suffer on Linux/Alpha from too many "speed tradeoffs" already for
> this to be really acceptable for a "production kernel".

I have't noticed a significant speed difference.  Mostly that
the kernel is about 200k larger with all the extra stuff in.

I'll try to find time for some benchmarking so that I would
at least be speculating wildly with numbers in hand.

> I guess that I should try again - maybe with some of 2.2.0pre?

Please do.  If there's a platform detection problem, we need
to address it soon.

r~