List:       axp-redhat
Subject:    Re: Free Fortran Compiler under LINUX/Alpha
From:       Ian Grant <I.A.N.Grant () damtp ! cam ! ac ! uk>
Date:       1998-04-17 19:24:55

We have the NAg F90 compiler and I can assure you that it is an f2c
translator. Run it with -S instead of -c and you'll see the `assembler',
which is C.

Unfortunately the NAg compiler's code is very slow compared to the DEC
compiler'S on the same hardware. Here's an experiment for you to try:
Compile your f90 program on a Digital box under Digital Unix with the
Digital f90 but use the -non_shared flag. Then execute the resulting
statically-linked binary on the Linux box and time it.

Ian