List:       axp-redhat
Subject:    Re: utmp
From:       "Andrew J. Petrarca" <android () hotblack ! gweep ! net>
Date:       1997-04-30 23:05:18

>> I just installed all 3 of the RPMs from ftp.redhat.com
>> these are
>> /pub/redhat/updates/4.1/alpha/NetKit-B-0.09-1.1.alpha.rpm
>> 			     /passwd-0.50-2.1.alpha.rpm
>> 			     /util-linux-2.5-34.1.alpha.rpm

>	Okay, so i lied.. This is still broken, however I am led to believe
>that it may be screen that is breaking it. The ghosts seem to start with
>the users running screen. I compiled the newest version of screen last
>night, it compiled completly clean though the problem still exists.
>Just thought I'd let people know what I've been noticing...

I've been having a lot of problems with this little issue.  Last night I
installed the three patches listed above, and the problem subsided a bit.
Later screen started giving the "utmp slot not found" error again,
indicating that it was still leaving a mess in utmp.

The README file for screen says that linux has a broken getutline().  I
don't know if this is true, but recompiling screen with GETUTENT undefined
seems to stop screen from contributing to this problem.

My system ran for most of the day today before a ghost login appeared (much
better than before... it used to start with the second or third login after
the system was rebooted).  It was a user who logged in using rlogin, who I
know does not run screen (or in fact any program other than nethack :).
Apparently in.rlogind still has some problems even after installing the
updates.

--
Bitwise, android.                                         &