List:       axis-c-dev
Subject:    Re: configure.ac
From:       John Hawkins <HAWKINSJ () uk ! ibm ! com>
Date:       2004-06-11 8:19:17

OK, that's a start. I understand why we need a make file for each tree
(kinda)

However, I still need to change 8 configure.ac files everytime I want to
port to AIX (or another platform with issues). That's not very portable.

Looking at my original listing I see the following configure files  (minus
the ones you've just removed)

> ./configure.ac                                - the top level
> ./samples/client/configure.ac                       - samples
> ./samples/client/testHandler/configure.ac                 - samples
> ./samples/server/configure.ac                       - samples
> ./src/server/handlers/global/testhandler1/configure.ac    - handler
samples or tests?
> ./src/server/handlers/transport/testhandler2/configure.ac - handlers
samples or tests?
> ./src/wcg/configure.ac                              - what is this ?
> ./src/xml/txpp/lib/configure.ac                     - what is this?
> ./tests/configure.ac                          - tests

Few observations -
Why do we have lots of different sample files - Surely we just need one for
the samples tree
Samples and/or tests seem be scattered throughout the code base?

I also need to understand why we don't have a more simple structure with
say a configure file for the following :
src
tests
samples

Alternatively we could have one big tree structure with say

src
src/samples
src/tests

then I could have one configure.ac file at the top level?
If I wanted to build "all" I could or I could pick and choose which I
wanted.

That would seem more logical to me and far more easy to maintain and port ?

I appreciate the code has "grown up" but I don't think that I'm way out of
line here am I?

what do people think?

John Hawkins

             damitha@opensourc
             e.lk
             11/06/2004 08:54          "Apache AXIS C Developers List"
                                       <axis-c-dev@ws.apache.org>
                                                                        cc
             Please respond to
              "Apache AXIS C                                       Subject
             Developers List"          Re: configure.ac

Hi John,
   Actuall following file are not needed. I removed them
   ./samples/server/echoStringHeaderHandler/configure.ac
  ./samples/server/interoptests/doclitbase/configure.ac
  ./samples/server/interoptests/doclitgroupB/configure.ac

In other cases they are there, so that beginning from that place Makefiles
can be generated seperately. For example you can goto samples/server and
generate configure file there to create all the Makefiles beginning from
that folder.

damitha