List:       applixware-redhat
Subject:    Re: HTML Author
From:       "Cary B. O'Brien" <cobrien () access ! digex ! net>
Date:       1998-06-11 3:04:12

> On Wed, 10 Jun 1998, Cary B. O'Brien wrote:
>
> > > I seem to recall using it at one point - perhaps I was hallucinating. Is
> > > the HTML editor author just another broken feature? If so are there any
> > > plans to fix it?
> > >
> > > Graham Todd
> >
> > 1) The magic option from words file->export, choose html.  Or use the html
> >    editor from the beginning.  Html editor does indeed have File->Save HTML.
>
> Hmm ... not mine. Can't find it anywhere.  Even starting applix from the
> commandline with "applix -html" basically produces a clone of Words.  I
> can't export to HTML either.  There is no HTML entry in the export menu of
> Words.  Perhaps I'm missing a filter or set of macros?  Which ones would
> they be?

Ok I'm going to double check.

Start /opt/bin/applix from the command line
Click on words
Click on File->Export
Under 'Export File Type:' I've got
	Applix Words 3.x
	Ascii Paragraphs
	Ascii Lines
	Ascii Layout
	DCA
	HTML

If you don't have HTML I'd guess there might be something wrong with your
install.  Wierd.

> NB: This is with 4.3.2 if you are using 4.3.7 perhaps that would explain
> my hallucination.  I will try to do the rhmask upgrade to 4.3.7 tonite.

My setup is 4.3.2, but the office (not builder) edition.  I.E. the rightmost
thing in the applix toolbar is a file cabinet, not the drill/t-square thing
for builder (At least on this machine).

-- cary

> >  All that being said, the applixware html publishing facility is not
> >  used much.  Not even at applixware's own web site! (They use front page*).
>
> Kind of pathetic ... though I'm sure it's not done in house anyway.
>
> > *ObRant:
> > Can you believe Microsoft?  Secret HTTP extenstions?  Geesh!
>
> I believe it. I'm starting to find commercial software (including Applix)
> to be generally peevish.  Although each company, depending on its market
> position, is peevish in it's own special way.  Besides, there's really
> only one important choice to be made regarding editors: emacs or vi :-)

Editors must start with e.  emacs or ed.