List:       apache-ssl
Subject:    [apache-ssl] Netscape 3 compatibility
From:       "David B. Held" <dheld () codelogicconsulting ! com>
Date:       2000-10-30 0:54:48

I have an SSL server running succesfully with
apache-1.3.14, apache-ssl-1.41, and openssl-0.9.6.
I created a test certificate, and it works fine with
Explorer 5 and Netscape 4.  However, on Netscape
3.04 (my browser of choice), it gives me:

The security library has experienced a database
error.  You will probably be unable to connect to
this site securely.

I noticed in an archive post, that this error might be
caused by an expired certificate.  However, I upgraded
to the newest certificate, and I don't have any references
to SSLCACertificate*.

Also, Explorer 5 and Netscape 4 correctly load a
different page when I attempt to access:

http://secure.mydomain.com/

instead of:

https://secure.mydomain.com/

However, Navigator 3 will happily load with the http://
reference, even though I have an SSLRequireSSL
directive in my Virtual Host, and even though my
VH directive looks like:

<VirtualHost secure.mydomain.com:443>
    [stuff]
    SSLEnable
    SSLRequireSSL
</VirtualHost>

Furthermore, I don't get any error messages in either
the main logs or the virtualhost logs.  Any ideas?

Dave