List:       apache-ssl
Subject:    Re: [apache-ssl] apache-1.3.14 + apache-ssl-1.41 + openssl-0.9.6...Does it work?
From:       "David B. Held" <dheld () codelogicconsulting ! com>
Date:       2000-10-29 20:49:51

>I've spent several hours trying to get the combination above to
>work.  I also have php-4.0.3pl1 that I'd like to have play with the
>other boys as well.  Apparently, apache-ssl expects
>apache-1.3.12, and openssl-0.9.5a or b.  The only thing I had
>to edit was modules/ssl/Makefile.tmpl where I had to change a
>reference to alloc.h to ap_alloc.h (looking at the files, it seemed
>reasonable).  Of course, I'm just guessing, because I don't know
>if apache-ssl even works with 1.3.14.  Has anyone got this
>combo working?

Ok, I finally got it working.  You need to do several things:

A) Modify apache-1.3.14/src/modules/ssl/Makefile.tmpl so that
it looks for ap_alloc.h instead of alloc.h on two lines.

B) Modify apache-1.3.14/configure so that the first two instances
of shared_so=no also have shared_apache_ssl=no and
shared_log_config=no below them.

I suppose you could load apache_ssl as a DSO, but I didn't
want to, so I did it this way, and it works.

C) Add this line to httpd.conf or httpsd.conf:

AddModule apache_ssl.c

This third step is what killed me until I looked at the configure
script to find out how it decided what .c file to add for a given
module.  After some hunting, I realized that there *was* no
mod_apache_ssl, following the convention of *every other
module* I have seen.  So I looked in the src/modules/ssl
directory and noticed apache_ssl.c sitting there.  Of course,
this line probably never got added because I always had an
existing httpd.conf that apache did not want to overwrite.  But
it would have been nice to see some documentation saying
that this is a non-standard module naming convention.

Anyway, it looks like it all works.  Now I just need to find some
good FAQs for how SSL works and how to use certificates, etc.
Any pointers would be appreciated.

Dave