List:       apache-modules
Subject:    Re: [apache-modules] URL quoting issue
From:       Christian Parpart <cparpart () surakware ! net>
Date:       2004-09-14 23:33:54

On Wednesday 15 September 2004 1:19 am, rm@fabula.de wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 15, 2004 at 01:09:13AM +0200, Christian Parpart wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > well, this is a rather odd problem I actually have.
> > So, I must be able to get arguments containing a # as argument value,
> > e.g.
> >
> > http://sub.host.tls/path/to?arg=val#ue
> >
> > here, my query argument "arg" shall have the value "val#ue", but it
> > doesn't, as apache seems to cut that #ue out of my argument value,
> > doesn't it(?).
> >
> > So, finally I got it by URL encoding the '#' into a "%23", but my
> > question now is, WHAT chars "are declared to be invalid" in URL
> > arguments, and though, "has to be" encoded in the well known way?
>
> Well, in general this would be the time to have a look at the RFCs (for
> URLs) and i'm to bussy to do that for you. But one short remark: it isn't
> apache that is munching your '#ue' - that's the browser. The '#' marks the
> fragment, i.e. a location _within_ a resource.

But yes, and I thought, that the fragment SHALL be placed BEFORE the query
arguments, that is, having:

http://low.med.maj/foo.bar#Fragment?arg=val%23ue

So, that encoding of val#ue isn't even needed. this was *my* intuitive way to
thing about.

Regards,
Christian Parpart.

--
 01:31:26 up 21 days, 13:11,  3 users,  load average: 0.16, 0.27, 0.29