List:       apache-modules
Subject:    Re: [apache-modules] URL quoting issue
From:       rm () fabula ! de
Date:       2004-09-14 23:19:04

On Wed, Sep 15, 2004 at 01:09:13AM +0200, Christian Parpart wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> well, this is a rather odd problem I actually have.
> So, I must be able to get arguments containing a # as argument value, e.g.
>
> http://sub.host.tls/path/to?arg=val#ue
>
> here, my query argument "arg" shall have the value "val#ue", but it doesn't,
> as apache seems to cut that #ue out of my argument value, doesn't it(?).
>
> So, finally I got it by URL encoding the '#' into a "%23", but my question now
> is, WHAT chars "are declared to be invalid" in URL arguments, and though,
> "has to be" encoded in the well known way?

Well, in general this would be the time to have a look at the RFCs (for
URLs) and i'm to bussy to do that for you. But one short remark: it isn't
apache that is munching your '#ue' - that's the browser. The '#' marks the
fragment, i.e. a location _within_ a resource. This is of no concern to the
webserver. The browser will query the server for the URL without the fragment
and, once it got the resource, will try to locate the fragment.

Check your access log ....

 HTH Ralf Mattes