List:       apache-modperl
Subject:    RE: Embperl and recursion using Execute()
From:       "Gerald Richter" <richter () ecos ! de>
Date:       1999-07-31 18:20:22

> Hey,
>
> i'm trying to display a tree structure with Embperl. the only
> reasonable way to do it in my sight is to do recursion with
> Execute.
>
> has anyone tried to do that?

Yes, I do that with success :-)

> there seems to be some sort of
> a problem with variable scopes, the error message i get is:
>
>   ERR: 32: Line 3: Warning in Perl code: Database handle
>   destroyed without explicit disconnect at td-puu2.html line 3.
>
> source files are included.

The problem is that $dbh and $sth are globals, so the $dbh = DBI->
connect(...), will destroy the database handle of your outer recursion
level.

The first thing to do is to move the connect/disconnect out of the recursion
(put it in td-puu2.html), because the call to connect is only necessary
once.

The second thing is the localize your statement handle. Put a

[* local $sth *]

at the top of td-puu2.html. (NOTE the [* *] syntax!) (maybe it's necessary
to localize more variables, I didn't looked so close).

Gerald