List:       apache-modperl
Subject:    RE: :mysql and libmysqlclient.so.10
From:       Ryan Thompson <ryan () sasknow ! com>
Date:       2001-11-30 5:58:12

William Rusch wrote to Ryan Thompson:

> I use oracle and with DBI I had a similiar problem. although I
> could run all the oracle client software without having to set
> this variable i had to set it when i connected through dbi,however
> this happened with standard cgi's as well.
>
> I usually set it in my connection subroutine ie..
> $ENV{'LD_LIBRARY_PATH'} = '/path to library';
> $dbh = DBI->connect(......);
>
> I use true64 and linux so I'm not even positive that the
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH is the right environment variable for freebsd. But
> if it is, it's worth trying.
>
> maybe the ld_library_path got altered on the mod_perl
> compilation.... wouldn't really have a clue beyond that.

Hi William (and everyone else who has replied),

Thanks for the replies. I have tried all of the suggestions that you
and others have recommended (including some ideas of my own). So far,
I'm still stuck at the same place I was when this all started
yesterday ;-)

Here is what I have tried so far, to sum things up:

Running ldconfig -R to make sure libmysqlclient.so.10 is in the list
$ENV{'LD_LIBRARY_PATH'} = '/usr/local/lib/mysql',  or
$ENV{'LD_LIBRARY_PATH'} = '/usr/local/lib/mysql/'
PerlSetEnv	LD_LIBRARY_PATH	/usr/local/lib/mysql

Checked library locations, file permissions, configuration, etc from a
working installation on FreeBSD 3.5 with mod_perl 1.25. (No
differences found, except the FreeBSD 3.5 box uses an older version of
libmysqlclient.so).

And then full restart Apache (apachectl stop && apachectl start) after
trying each one of these.

I HAVEN'T yet striven to recompile mod_perl, but I suspect that may be
where I am headed next. mod_perl is compiled as a DSO, with APXS.

- Ryan

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  Network Administrator, Accounts

  #106-380 3120 8th St E - Saskatoon, SK - S7H 0W2

        Tel: 306-664-3600   Fax: 306-664-1161   Saskatoon