List:       apache-modgzip
Subject:    Re: [Mod_gzip] Help,/tmp .wrk files empty (mod_gzip over SSL issue)
From:       "Kevin Kiley" <Kiley () RemoteCommunications ! com>
Date:       2001-07-26 6:18:29

Hi Mike...
This is Kevin Kiley

Joao is right... it could be that suddenly people are hitting
you with SSL requests whereas before, they were not.

Are you, in fact, now running 'mod_ssl' and is this a recent
addition to your Apache setup or has, perhaps, mod_ssl
been there all along?

My understanding is that even when mod_gzip discovers that
mod_ssl has 'stolen' away all the connection and IO handles
( which it does without telling any other Apache module ) and
mod_gzip prints the inevitable 'FILE_IS_EMPTY' error... mod_gzip
should just stop what it is doing and enter it's built in 'recovery' state
and the secure page(s) should actually still be appearing OK back
at the client even though the errors pop up in the log. mod_ssl actually
has the 'data' at that point and should, in fact, 'do the right thing'.

Is this not the case for you?

You said...

>> Mod_gzip has been working fine for two months then this happens. All of a
>> sudden it stops sending info

By 'stops sending info' do you really mean the responses just aren't showing
up in the browser anymore, or that they aren't being 'compressed' anymore?

If you don't have mod_ssl at all then this has to be some kind of UNIX
disk space problem. Are you using some kind of 'undelete' program that might
make it appear as if files have been 'erased' but they are being held in
a digest or a 'recycle bin' somewhere and there really is no room left?

I am assuming you are using some flavor of 'Uni/Linu/x' just because
you show forward slashes on your pathname instead of backslashes
like Win32 uses... but is this correct? Are you Uni/Linu/x or Win32?

Later...
Kevin