List:       apache-httpd-users
Subject:    Re: [users@httpd] Apache/2.0.40, mod_ssl unexplainable errors logged
From:       "Jem Berkes" <jb2002 () pc9 ! org>
Date:       2002-08-30 16:20:57

> More on this. I kept one console running tcpdump -i lo port 443 Sure
> enough, whenever the 'spurious' SSL error appeared in the logs, a
> connection from localhost to itself appears on port 443. So it appears
> that those connections are causing the errors.

OK, with the help of Mr. Trawick from the apache developer's mailing
list, this problem has been solved! The cause does seem to be, in fact,
the idle server maintenance (that's why it is related to the amount of
server traffic). Apparently apache does dummy connects to itself in order
to wake up children.

The solution lies in the order of your Listen statements. The dummy
connect should hit port 80, not port 443. I had Listen 80 then Listen 443
in my configuration files (httpd.conf before ssl.conf) and with that
order, the dummy connects go to port 443.

Swapping the order should get rid of the "[error] Spurious SSL handshake
interrupt" errors due to the apache dummy connects. I commented out the
Listen 443 in ssl.conf, and instead modified httpd.conf so that it says:

<IfDefine SSL>
        Listen 443
</IfDefine>
Listen 80

i.e. Listen 443 before Listen 80. No more
[error] Spurious SSL handshake interrupt [Hint: Usually just one of those
OpenSSL confusions!?]

--
Jem Berkes
Student IEEE (Canada)