List:       amd-dev
Subject:    amd doen't recover for lost NIS
From:       jrgma () chevron ! com (R ! G ! Mann)
Date:       1998-01-29 17:14:17

I am two versions back running 6.0a14.  I will try the newest, but
I haven't seen any work in this area mentioned in the list.  The
problem is that when we have a network outage, or an NIS server is
bounced or unresponsive for any reason, it is possible for amd
on NIS clients to miss a lookup.  When this happens, the log file gets
an entry that says:

Jan 27 22:51:39 sun18 amd[186]/error: error grabbing nis map of amd.hayes:
internal NIS server or client error

It never recovers from this outage and has to be killed and restarted.
Occasionally, it refuses to die and a reboot is required.

I have seen it happen on Solaris 2.5.1, SunOS, IRIX 6.2, and AIX 4.2.1.

Here is an amd -v from Solaris
./amd -v
Copyright (c) 1997 Erez Zadok
Copyright (c) 1990 Jan-Simon Pendry
Copyright (c) 1990 Imperial College of Science, Technology & Medicine
Copyright (c) 1990 The Regents of the University of California.
am-utils version 6.0a14 (build 1).
Built by rgmr@sun25.hayes.chevron.com on date Tue Dec 16 10:26:10 CST 1997.
cpu=sparc (big-endian), arch=sun4, karch=sun4u.
full_os=solaris2.5.1, os=solaris2, osver=2.5.1, vendor=sun.
Map support for: root, passwd, union, nisplus, nis, ndbm, file, error.
AMFS: nfs, link, nfsx, host, linkx, program, union, inherit, ufs, lofs,
      hsfs, pcfs, auto, direct, toplvl, autofs, error.
FS: autofs, cachefs, hsfs, lofs, nfs, nfs3, pc, tfs, tmpfs, ufs.
Network: wire="hayes.chevron.com" (netnumber=lies.lies.lies).
sun06.hayes.chevron.com>

As I noted, I will try version 16, but does anyone have any ideas why
it doesn't recover.  My 102 version machines do not hang.

						Roy Mann

Roy G. Mann		Chevron Information Technology Co.
Systems Analyst 	BTD, UNIX systems
(281) 596-3160 		rgmr@chevron.com