List:       amd-dev
Subject:    Re: multiple mount styles
From:       Jon Peatfield <J.S.Peatfield () damtp ! cam ! ac ! uk>
Date:       1998-01-27 23:43:46

> That would be awesome functionality.  "Nofail" sounds ok, though something
> like "mayfail" would perhaps be a bit more transparent.

Personally I'd use something like the nsswitch syntax, a key which can take
values like "continue" or "fail" to say what to do on various kinds of failure.
Actually I'd like amd to be able to give different errors back to the user (I
don't know if this is possible given the way it works).

e.g. you might want to treat "no such device" differently from "not ufs
format" or whatever.

As an aside I'm not particularly happy about mounting devices without fsck'ing
them first -- this is why I prefer the type:=program approach to mounting
removable media.  Goodness knows what a random user will stick in a floppy/cd
drive.  I don't want to crash the machine (or worse) just because our users
are stupid (or cunning).

 -- Jon