List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: amarok 1.4.7 - string freeze
From:       Harald Sitter <harald () getamarok ! com>
Date:       2007-08-07 7:06:52

On Monday 06 August 2007 23:58:15 Michael Skiba wrote:
> Well, the get-and-give spirit is not everywhere :/
> Translating is a time consuming job and not everyone has the time for it,
> especially those who have a job(I guess the most translators aren't in
> school anymore - unlike many devs are[I'm maybe wrong at this one, I don't
> know]). Also the most of us have a family too, which also needs time...
> (especially countrys which are less connected to the internet will have
> troubles to get enough translators).
>
> But back to the limit, do we really want one? I mean isn't anything better
> than nothing? (at least for those who don't speak English, like many
> children for example, who make their first experiences with (Linux)-PCs)

So I now consulted my pillow (which usually comes up with strange ideas ;-)
not this time, though). It's probably a bad idea to set a limit for extragear
at all, because... well... it's extragear, applications are meant to make
their own descisions, epspecially concerning such stuff.
But the argument for a limit is, even though we create FLOSS in our spare time
(which isn't that much either, since actually I think most devs don't go to
school either. Anyway, the point is, still we want to provide the best
software possible, and I never saw an application from Google or MS which was
only for like 10% translated. It might not be professional.

Amarok however is not a business application, neither is it unbelievable
important to have 100% translation or no at all (although from a marketing
perspective it should be that way). Bottom line: at least for Amarok I don't
want a limit for Amarok anymore (somehow was a stupid idea anyway :P) what I
want (note the I there) is to get rid of unmaintained applications.

> Sure it looks horrible for every second string is in another language, but
> maybe we could spread them in an additional languagepack? Or proclaim them
> as "not officially supported"?

Ohnoes, that would make things overly complicate. Like, who to call that pack,
packaged for every language, would distros package it at all......

> Greetings
> Michael (who had a great sunny day with his family today - and no time for
> translating :/ ) :)

Wanna do as well :(... stupid work!

--
Harald Sitter