List:       alpine-info
Subject:    Re: [Alpine-info] Couldn't load PKCS7 object: unknown error
From:       "Dan Mahoney, System Admin" <danm () prime ! gushi ! org>
Date:       2010-09-28 15:55:22

On Tue, 28 Sep 2010, Jan Fuchs wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have same problem:
>
>    http://marc.info/?l=alpine-info&m=124389553610424
>    http://objectmix.com/pine/743834-alpine-2-0-fails-decrypt-s-mime-mail.html
>
> Show encryped message is OK.
> Show signed message is OK.
>
> But, show encryped and signed message failure:
>
>    [Couldn't load PKCS7 object: unknown error]
>
> Thanks for answers.
>
>      Best regards Jan Fuchs

Here's what I know -- alpine apparently tries to run a signed, encrypted
object through openssl twice, and fails on the second attempt.  I can
export the message to a raw mailbox, and openssl can 'grok' it fine.  I
haven't been able to follow the C code well enough to figure out exactly
where it's happening; I'm not a native speaker of C.

I've approached some of the more clueful maintainers (barton, chappa,
crispin when he was around) and nobody seems willing or able to help
mainly because they do not use the technologies involved.

I would love to have this fixed and would even pay for a few hours of dev
time, as I use Alpine in both my personal and work life, and would like to
be able to use my cacert.org cert for this.

-Dan