List:       aix-l
Subject:    Re: SAN Array Setup for Various Boxes
From:       "Hass, Harold" <HHass () CO ! FRESNO ! CA ! US>
Date:       2005-12-19 23:05:47

I doubt if you're going to find a book that will answer the question to
your satisfaction for your environment.  The variables are very wide.
For example, the number and types of switches and the ports on your SAN
fabric; the number of front-end (host side) adapters; the number and
type of back-end (disk side) adapters; the disk drive types and
arrangement; the disk device (LUN) makeup and, ultimately, the number of
spindles.  On the host side, the type and number of HBA's and how they
access (load balancing etc.) are important as is the type of data being
accessed.

My experience has been that the performance of a good SAN will be
markedly better than any locally attached disk being migrated from.
Again, it's a hard thing to predict.  We've seen measurable through put
increases of 100-200% over SSA drives when migrating medium sized Oracle
database applications to an EMC Symmectrix.  Hard to measure as to how
much is application, how much is raw feeds & speeds, but it's "lots"
better.

Disk space volume isn't the whole story.  Reduncancy, performance, and
most importantly, manageability, are all a part of it.  Is a SAN fast,
reliable, manageable?  Yes.  Is a SAN expensive and a lot of work to
integrate?  Yes.  Is it worth it in your environment?  Who knows!
Research it and keep an open mind.

Harold Hass
Senior Network Systems Engineer
County of Fresno, CA