List:       aix-l
Subject:    Re: cheap shred disk for HACMP testing
From:       "Green, Simon" <Simon.Green () EU ! ALTRIA ! COM>
Date:       2005-07-28 9:38:37

You might be able to find cheap SSA.  You'd need to be looking at a 7133-500
or 600 (iirc).  That's the older types of SSA, in a desk-side tower rather
than a rack-mounted drawer.  The 600 is significantly better as the 500
doesn't have bypass cards and only take 2.2 and 4.5GB disks.  I suspect that
a T40 would be a bit expensive, (although I haven't looked).  You could also
use older SSA cards as the newer ones are still worth a bit.
(If you've got a 19" rack, the model number are 010, 020 and D40 for the SSA
drawers.  I'd be wary of those, though, as when I bought one second hand
half of the mounting parts were missing.  With a tower you don't have that
problem.)

We've still got a couple of 7133-010 drawers and they still work, although
the disks are getting slightly less reliable these days and they're a lot
slower than the newer ones.  The 020s aren't too bad, especially with the
faster 9GB disks, although again, less reliable than the newer ones.  Not
too bad, especially if you don't power them off.  (They can be prone to
stiction.)

HACMP can, of course, be customized to support anything that AIX itself
supports.    (Check the appendices in the Admin Guide.)  At 4.4.1 the disk
types supported were:
SCSIDISK 	SCSI -2 Disk
SSA 		IBM Serial Storage Architecture
FCPARRAY 	Fibre Attached Disk Array
ARRAY 	SCSI-2 Disk Array
FSCSI 	Fibre Attached SCSI-3 Disk
9333 		IBM 9333 Disk

I doubt that later versions support fewer types, although I guess it's
possible.  SCSI-2 would probably be the cheapest of those.  SSA would be
more interesting if you can find some within your budget.

--
Simon Green
Altria ITSC Europe s.a.r.l.

AIX-L Archive at https://new-lists.princeton.edu/listserv/aix-l.html
New to AIX? http://publib-b.boulder.ibm.com/redbooks.nsf/portals/UNIX

N.B. Unsolicited email from vendors will not be appreciated.
Please post all follow-ups to the list.