List:       aix-l
Subject:    LVM Striping Performance
From:       "Ruble, Rick L." <Rick.L.Ruble () LAHEY ! ORG>
Date:       2002-04-29 19:11:56

We are currently doing some testing for striping a logical volume. We have a 7026-h50 \
with 10 9.1 scsi attached disks running AIX 4.3.3 (ML09). I have built a 3 disk \
striped volume {mirrored} with a stripe size of 64K. VMTUNE has been updated to \
maxpgahead:96 and maxfree:216. It seems when we write to a single disk we get a rate \
of 12267 KB/s, but when we write to the array we write at a rate of 4000 KB/s (about \
1/3) per disk.  My questions are is this normal behavior? I was expecting better \
read/write results from the striped volume. Does anyone have any other tweaks that \
can be performed on the volume to get better results? Also is anybody else using \
logical volume striping for an oracle database.  Thank you
          Rick Ruble