List:       aix-l
Subject:    installing and uninstalling software
From:       Drew <apt () DCS-SUCCESS ! COM>
Date:       2002-04-29 18:05:11

Some AIX theory here:

I wanted to take my SAMBA daemons and make them SRC-aware. I have installed
SAMBA 2.2.1.1 from binaries but it looks as if I will have to compile it
myself and go through the configure, make, make install routine in order to
do that, (because I don't have any source directory in my SAMBA directory
tree, and I need to edit files that reside there to make it SRC-aware)

Anyway, when you compile your own using the above routine, what is the
easiest way to uninstall it or update the software should I ever need to?

Also, will lslpp -L display the software installed through this fasion, or
will SMIT?

And lastly but not leastly, if I install any other software using configure,
make, make install, will /usr/sbin/updtvpkg still update the list for rpm?

This is not a mission critical thing here, just some discussion because
there seems to be so many ways to install software and I want to make sure
I'm doing it in the most logical and efficient fasion. And to be honest,
this isn't the kind of discussion I get into when I'm calling home to say
hi. So I'm turning to you fine, professional, AIX-loving people. :>)

Thanks in advance AIXers.

Drew