List:       activemq-dev
Subject:    [DISCUSS] Use a generic logger in ActiveMQ Artemis
From:       Clebert Suconic <clebert.suconic () gmail ! com>
Date:       2022-04-29 20:36:44

For a while, I thought it would be nice to remove jboss-logging from
artemis and use a generic logger. (SLF4J, Log4j, commons.. whatever..
it's all orthogonal and transparent to this discussion, we can decide
that at a later point).

One of the issues we had while making the move would be the generated
error codes out of the Log Processor.

So, I put together a prototype here that would generate code based on
an interface and that could use whatever logger we choose. I will try
to never remove the branch for future reference:

https://github.com/clebertsuconic/activemq-artemis/tree/prototype-log-processor

the Log processor would read the annotations and generate the code:

https://github.com/clebertsuconic/activemq-artemis/blob/prototype-log-processor/artemi \
s-log-processor/src/main/java/org/apache/activemq/artemis/logprocessor/processor/LogProcessor.java

A testcase here would show how such processing would work:

https://github.com/clebertsuconic/activemq-artemis/blob/prototype-log-processor/artemi \
s-log-processor/src/test/java/org/apache/activemq/i18n/test/SimpleBundleTest.java

I have added some code on the artemis-server, trying to simulate what
we would do in "real life":

https://github.com/clebertsuconic/activemq-artemis/blob/prototype-log-processor/artemi \
s-server/src/main/java/org/apache/activemq/artemis/core/server/ActiveMQServerNewLogger.java

This test here is making a call to the NewLogger, just to show how
processing would work. Everything would work just like it would now:

https://github.com/clebertsuconic/activemq-artemis/blob/prototype-log-processor/artemis-server/src/test/java/org/apache/activemq/artemis/core/TestSample.java

I would appreciate some feedback if this is a good way forward or not...

(please let's not diverge on what logging framework we are choosing
now... that's a separate discussion).

--
Clebert Suconic