List:       activemq-dev
Subject:    Re: What is the current status and plans for the web-console?
From:       Clebert Suconic <clebert.suconic () gmail ! com>
Date:       2017-02-22 19:56:03

I liked Martyn's proposal for being a cool thing :)

Just looked at this thing he mentioned (bootstrap).. man.. it's really cool...
http://getbootstrap.com/getting-started/

I'm not writing software just to be cool... but a great console would
definitely improve things...

One thing with a great UI though... our website still sucks :)

> - It provides a framework for plugins. So you can have one console that
> gives you access to ActiveMQ but also to other modules in your system
> - It uses jolokia to access the existing JMX layer over REST. So we do not
> need to create an additional REST layer for the console on the AMQ and
> Artemis side
> - Uses a html/javascript client (Angular). So the client side is easy to
> install on any server
>
> So if we do not write a Hawtio plugin then we should still consider to use
> jolokia to avoid overhead on the server side.
> I also think a framework to hook other plugins in would be great but for
> just the activemq and artemis consoles it is not absolutely necessary.

+1... although I strongly encourage to keep the bits isolated. Not
only for easy switch between AMQ5 and Artemis, but eventually we could
include other technologies available on the console. (examples: AMQP
Management, JMX, some consoles standard that I don't remember now, or
any other thing yet to be invented)..   All I'm asking is for standard
OO encapsulation.

> So ideally I would like to have something like Hatwio at apache as a generic
> base for a console where all apache projects can hook in via plugins.
> Unfortunately this is a lot of effort and I am not sure if we find enough
> manpower to do it.  It would also be a project on its own and should not be
> done at activemq.

..... if I had the time.....     :/