List:       abiword-user
Subject:    Re: problems building abi in osx
From:       Francis James Franklin <f.j.franklin () sheffield ! ac ! uk>
Date:       2003-07-10 8:30:07

On Thursday, July 10, 2003, at 02:07 AM, Mark Gilbert wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-07-09 at 21:02, Jacobo Myerston wrote:
>> I can't build version 1.99.2 on macosx. Neither the Cocoa nor the gtk
>> version.
>>
>> building with --disable-Cocoa
>
> You need a recent X11 (the one from Apple is recommended iirc, fjf will
> tell you about that) including xft2 and fontconfig (which depend on
> freetype2, which you are missing according to the error messages).

I haven't built the gtk2 version on OSX in ages, mostly because of the
hassle of freetype/fontconfig/Xft2 - I wish Apple would hurry up and
release XFree86 4.3 - I know you can get this from other sources (e.g.,
XDarwin, I think) but I prefer to use what Apple gives for the simple
reason that that is what most end-users will be wanting.

I do have a 44MB tar-ball which, I think, contains all the required
dependencies for building the gtk2 version of AbiWord-2.0 which I can
make available to you if you wish.

The Cocoa version should be built using Project Builder. Hub likes to
use fink for some libraries (e.g., libiconv) - if you're not a fink
user, and if you know your way around Project Builder, then instead you
can try building against my AbiCocoaDep framework (available for
download from http://www.crazy-wormhole.com/).

Regards, Frank