List:       abiword-dev
Subject:    Summarizing articles in a new way
From:       Nadav Rotem <nadavrotem () mail ! ru>
Date:       2003-12-06 14:07:49

I started working on a new way of summarizing texts. This time the goal it to take a \
group of articles and join them to a single article; I do so by taking one article \
from the group and replacing parts of it with parts of the other articles that have \
the same signature.

The code is still hackish , leaks buckets and is NOT ready for any use. but it's in \
the cvs under examples/;

Here (Attached) is a quick demo of an article I joint from various sources;
                                                                                      \

> [nadav@gringo news]$ ../join-art cnn.txt abc.txt fox.txt msn.txt usatoday.txt \
> yahoo.txt > ../new_news.txt

new_news: Generated articles
news_replace: a list of replaced blocks

-Nadav Rotem

["new_news.txt" (new_news.txt)]

The storm brought several inches of snow to Virginia and Maryland on Friday, and road \
crews were preparing for a second onslaught with flurries overnight expected to turn \
to heavy snow.   FORECASTERS SAID the system could hit even harder over the weekend, \
with total snow accumulations of up to two feet in Massachusetts and near-blizzard \
conditions in parts of Maine and New Hampshire.  These included a blizzard warning \
for Saturday for the New York City area.  Many schoolchildren got an early start to \
their weekend when dozens of schools closed early on Friday.  More than 80 \
fender-benders were reported on the New Jersey Turnpike, where the speed limit was \
reduced from 65 mph to 35 mph because of dangerous conditions.  Winds from 20 to 40 \
mph with higher gusts are forecast Saturday near the coast from New York City north \
to Boston.  "We're hoping the forecasters are wrong, but if they're not, we're \
trusting that people will be staying home with their families and off the road so we \
can get our job done," said Anna Farneski, spokeswoman for the Bergen County, N.J.  \
The warning means forecasters expect sustained wind speeds or frequent gusts of 35 \
mph or faster with considerable falling or blowing and drifting snow that will drop \
visibility to zero at times.  "I love storms, but I don't like shoveling," Stevenson \
said.  Forecasters in Massachusetts predicted up to 18 inches of snow through Sunday. \
By Friday evening, The National Weather Service had winter storm warnings in effect \
from Virginia and West Virginia northeast into southern New England.  About 100 \
flights were canceled at Philadelphia International Airport on Friday, and some \
flights were delayed at Washington Dulles International Airport.  Flights were \
canceled at New York's La Guardia, New Jersey's Newark Liberty International Airport, \
Boston and Philadelphia airports, and others were delayed by several hours. Kennedy \
airports and New Jersey's Newark Liberty International, according to the Port \
Authority of New York and New Jersey.  The storm had already brought a mixture of \
ice, freezing rain, sleet and snow in mountain regions of North Carolina, Virginia \
and West Virginia on Thursday.  The Weather Service said the complex storm system \
brought in snow and sleet on Friday, which changed to rain in some places as \
temperatures warmed through the day.  About 100 flights were canceled at Philadelphia \
International Airport on Friday, and some flights were delayed at Washington Dulles \
International Airport. Cancellations and delays also were expected Saturday at New \
York's La Guardia and John F.  "We're loving it," said Tana Graham, visiting New York \
City from Jackson, Miss.        "The salt is here, the trucks are ready, the chains \
are on, and New York is prepared for the assault," Mayor Michael Bloomberg said \
Friday. "I just bought 100 pounds of ice melt and we took out our snow shovels last \
night.  "The salt is here, the trucks are ready, the chains are on, and New York is \
prepared for the assault," New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg said Friday. At \
least one death was blamed on the storm, that of a 23-year-old man who was killed in \
an accident on a slick road in Virginia.   By Jacqueline Larma, AP  Friday's snow was \
like a warm-up for the main event with even heavier snow and high winds making travel \
even harder on Saturday, forecasters said. Four to 8 inches were expected in the \
Baltimore region.

["news_replace.txt" (news_replace.txt)]

replacing
[Overnight, the heavy snows caused traffic accidents and airport delays.] with
[  The storm brought several inches of snow to Virginia and Maryland on Friday, and \
road crews were preparing for a second onslaught with flurries overnight expected to \
turn to heavy snow.]

replacing
[ Visibility was down to a quarter-mile in parts of New England as winds and snow \
made driving conditions treacherous.] with [   FORECASTERS SAID the system could hit \
even harder over the weekend, with total snow accumulations of up to two feet in \
Massachusetts and near-blizzard conditions in parts of Maine and New Hampshire.]

replacing
[ In New York City a blizzard warning has been issued from 10 a.m. until 10 p.m. \
Saturday.] with [  These included a blizzard warning for Saturday for the New York \
City area.]

replacing
[  In Connecticut, traffic accidents were widespread Friday, with a portion of I-95 \
shut down during rush hour.] with [  Many schoolchildren got an early start to their \
weekend when dozens of schools closed early on Friday.]

replacing
[ Authorities urged residents to limit travel Saturday.] with
[  More than 80 fender-benders were reported on the New Jersey Turnpike, where the \
speed limit was reduced from 65 mph to 35 mph because of dangerous conditions.]

replacing
[  Winds were expected to be 15-20 mph Saturday, with gusts as high as 40 mph.] with
[  Winds from 20 to 40 mph with higher gusts are forecast Saturday near the coast \
from New York City north to Boston.]

replacing
[  "We're hoping people take caution," said Julie Bisi, a spokeswoman for \
Connecticut's emergency management office.] with [  "We're hoping the forecasters are \
wrong, but if they're not, we're trusting that people will be staying home with their \
families and off the road so we can get our job done," said Anna Farneski, \
spokeswoman for the Bergen County, N.J.]

replacing
[ "The blowing and drifting could cause problems."] with
[  The warning means forecasters expect sustained wind speeds or frequent gusts of 35 \
mph or faster with considerable falling or blowing and drifting snow that will drop \
visibility to zero at times.]

replacing
[  Forecasters said the height of the storm is expected to come at midday Saturday.] \
with [  "I love storms, but I don't like shoveling," Stevenson said.]

replacing
[ Snow totals are predicted to be 10-18 inches.] with
[  Forecasters in Massachusetts predicted up to 18 inches of snow through Sunday.]

replacing
[  "The nor'easter has yet to crank up," National Weather Service meteorologist \
Kimberly Buttrick said Friday night from Taunton, Massachusetts.] with [  By Friday \
evening, The National Weather Service had winter storm warnings in effect from \
Virginia and West Virginia northeast into southern New England.]

replacing
[  The snow and low clouds were wreaking havoc on air travel in the Northeast, with \
the worst delays for some incoming flights running close to 15 hours.] with [  About \
100 flights were canceled at Philadelphia International Airport on Friday, and some \
flights were delayed at Washington Dulles International Airport.]

replacing
[ Ground stops were in effect late Friday at Newark International Airport in New \
Jersey, Philadelphia International Airport in Pennsylvania, and Cleveland Hopkins \
International Airport in Ohio.] with [  Flights were canceled at New York's La \
Guardia, New Jersey's Newark Liberty International Airport, Boston and Philadelphia \
airports, and others were delayed by several hours.]

replacing
[  A ground stop means traffic at other airports bound for that destination is not \
allowed to depart.] with [ Kennedy airports and New Jersey's Newark Liberty \
International, according to the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey.]

replacing
[  Winter storm warnings were in effect from eastern Ohio to Connecticut and from \
West Virginia into Massachusetts.] with [  The storm had already brought a mixture of \
ice, freezing rain, sleet and snow in mountain regions of North Carolina, Virginia \
and West Virginia on Thursday.]

replacing
[ Freezing rain, sleet and snow from the first storm blanketed parts of North \
Carolina, Virginia and West Virginia and more is expected as the storm moves up the \
Atlantic coast.] with [  The Weather Service said the complex storm system brought in \
snow and sleet on Friday, which changed to rain in some places as temperatures warmed \
through the day.]

replacing
[  Washington is expected to get 4-6 inches, and Philadelphia is bracing for 8-10 \
inches.] with [  About 100 flights were canceled at Philadelphia International \
Airport on Friday, and some flights were delayed at Washington Dulles International \
Airport.]

replacing
[  New York is expected to get at least 8-14 inches of snow.] with
[ Cancellations and delays also were expected Saturday at New York's La Guardia and \
John F.]

replacing
[ New York City has 200,000 tons of salt to be dispersed on roads, and 1,700 \
snowplows at the ready.] with [  "We're loving it," said Tana Graham, visiting New \
York City from Jackson, Miss.]

replacing
[  New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg said 3,000 city workers would be on duty to \
make sure the city's 6,000 miles of roads stay clear.] with [        "The salt is \
here, the trucks are ready, the chains are on, and New York is prepared for the \
assault," Mayor Michael Bloomberg said Friday.]

replacing
[  "This is snow that we know how to take care of;] with
[ "I just bought 100 pounds of ice melt and we took out our snow shovels last night.]

replacing
[ they've got the right equipment," he said in a news conference Friday night.] with
[  "The salt is here, the trucks are ready, the chains are on, and New York is \
prepared for the assault," New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg said Friday.]

replacing
[  Bloomberg said the roads were fine, but when the storm blows in Saturday, \
conditions could be bad.] with [ At least one death was blamed on the storm, that of \
a 23-year-old man who was killed in an accident on a slick road in Virginia.]

replacing
[  "The winds are forecast to be very strong, really blizzard conditions, that's when \
you'll have to worry about trees coming down, power lines," he said.] with [   By \
Jacqueline Larma, AP  Friday's snow was like a warm-up for the main event with even \
heavier snow and high winds making travel even harder on Saturday, forecasters said.]

replacing
[  The weather grounded President Bush's planned Marine One helicopter flight to a \
re-election campaign luncheon in Baltimore, Maryland, where 6 inches of snow by \
midmorning had clogged streets and slowed traffic.] with [ Four to 8 inches were \
expected in the Baltimore region.]