The storm brought several inches of snow to Virginia and Maryland on Friday, and road crews were preparing for a second onslaught with flurries overnight expected to turn to heavy snow. FORECASTERS SAID the system could hit even harder over the weekend, with total snow accumulations of up to two feet in Massachusetts and near-blizzard conditions in parts of Maine and New Hampshire. These included a blizzard warning for Saturday for the New York City area. Many schoolchildren got an early start to their weekend when dozens of schools closed early on Friday. More than 80 fender-benders were reported on the New Jersey Turnpike, where the speed limit was reduced from 65 mph to 35 mph because of dangerous conditions. Winds from 20 to 40 mph with higher gusts are forecast Saturday near the coast from New York City north to Boston. "We're hoping the forecasters are wrong, but if they're not, we're trusting that people will be staying home with their families and off the road so we can get our job done," said Anna Farneski, spokeswoman for the Bergen County, N.J. The warning means forecasters expect sustained wind speeds or frequent gusts of 35 mph or faster with considerable falling or blowing and drifting snow that will drop visibility to zero at times. "I love storms, but I don't like shoveling," Stevenson said. Forecasters in Massachusetts predicted up to 18 inches of snow through Sunday. By Friday evening, The National Weather Service had winter storm warnings in effect from Virginia and West Virginia northeast into southern New England. About 100 flights were canceled at Philadelphia International Airport on Friday, and some flights were delayed at Washington Dulles International Airport. Flights were canceled at New York's La Guardia, New Jersey's Newark Liberty International Airport, Boston and Philadelphia airports, and others were delayed by several hours. Kennedy airports and New Jersey's Newark Liberty International, according to the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey. The storm had already brought a mixture of ice, freezing rain, sleet and snow in mountain regions of North Carolina, Virginia and West Virginia on Thursday. The Weather Service said the complex storm system brought in snow and sleet on Friday, which changed to rain in some places as temperatures warmed through the day. About 100 flights were canceled at Philadelphia International Airport on Friday, and some flights were delayed at Washington Dulles International Airport. Cancellations and delays also were expected Saturday at New York's La Guardia and John F. "We're loving it," said Tana Graham, visiting New York City from Jackson, Miss. “The salt is here, the trucks are ready, the chains are on, and New York is prepared for the assault,” Mayor Michael Bloomberg said Friday. "I just bought 100 pounds of ice melt and we took out our snow shovels last night. "The salt is here, the trucks are ready, the chains are on, and New York is prepared for the assault," New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg said Friday. At least one death was blamed on the storm, that of a 23-year-old man who was killed in an accident on a slick road in Virginia. By Jacqueline Larma, AP Friday's snow was like a warm-up for the main event with even heavier snow and high winds making travel even harder on Saturday, forecasters said. Four to 8 inches were expected in the Baltimore region.