List:       abiword-dev
Subject:    Re: Commit: OTS dictionaries
From:       Andrew Dunbar <hippietrail () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2003-07-14 12:41:36

 --- Rui Miguel Seabra <rms@1407.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-07-14 at 11:01, Andrew Dunbar wrote:
> > Somebody please check the Portuguese file, I
> > removed several English words but there seem to be
> > more that I wasn't 100% sure about and also some
> > what look like broken English contractions such
> > as "doesn". Also this file seems to have some
> > entried entered twice, once capitalized and once
> > not.
>
> They where there because they hadn't yet been
> translated (mostly because
> some of them are actually two or more words in
> Portuguese and I was
> waiting for Nadav's opinion about that.
>
> Would it be possible to revert that change?

Hi Rui.
In fact the dictionary files don't need to be exact
translations of each other. Basically the idea is that
all the non-information words, or functional words, as
I like to call them, go into this file so that OTS
knows they are not crucial to the subject of the
document and can safely ignore them when choosing
which
sentences are the most relevant.

The types of words you want to include are:
* prepositions (of, to, at)
* pronouns (I, me, him, her)
* conjunctions (and, but, if)
* adverbs of time, place, etc (always, here, there)
* quetion words (which, when, how)
* auxiliary verbs (be, have, will, can)

Every language is different so I hope this makes it a
little clearer.

Andrew Dunbar.

> Rui
> --
> + No matter how much you do, you never do enough --
> unknown
> + Whatever you do will be insignificant,
> | but it is very important that you do it -- Gandhi
> + So let's do it...?
>
> Please AVOID sending me WORD, EXCEL or POWERPOINT
> attachments.
> See

http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html

name=signature.asc