List:       abiword-dev
Subject:    Re: OTS - two word expressions
From:       Nadav Rotem <nadavrotem () mail ! ru>
Date:       2003-07-10 11:06:05

On Thu, 2003-07-10 at 13:56, Rui Miguel Seabra wrote:
> Hi,
>  How does ots handle two word expressions?
>  I ask this because some non important words that are one in english, in
> portuguese they're actually two :)
>
>  Regards, Rui
Hi Rui,

This is a good question. After I finished reading Fitzgerald's "The
Great Gatsby" I started thinking about expressions such as "old money" ,
"west egg" , "well done"...  In practice these should be treated as one
word. Another example is "New York". what is this "new york"? Is the
york new? Is the article talking about both YORK  and NEW ?

I was thinking about running another scan to find these phrases. The
scan will be O(n^2);

when scanning for non important words (we need to come up with a name
for them) we just remove them from the list so the best thing to do is
to list both words of the expression in the list.

-Nadav