List:       kde-pim
Subject:    [Kde-pim] KDE PIM roadmap
From:       Cornelius Schumacher <schumacher () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-05-28 15:19:58

We had a session about the roadmap for KDE PIM at the KDE PIM NL meeting [1].
Here is what we came up with. This should serve as a starting point for a
discussion. The goal is to agree on a roadmap for KDE PIM for the releases up
to KDE 4. It's not set in stone, but it certainly would be very beneficial,
if we can state, what our common plans and goals are. If you have comments,
objections, ideas, please don't hesitate to reply.

KDE PIM roadmap
==============

The basic assumption of the roadmap is that we won't be able to do feature
work in two different branches, while porting one branch to Qt 4, because we
don't have the resources to cope with the inevitable merging hell which would
result from this. So we propose to concentrate on the 3.5 release and start
Qt 4 porting and KDE 4 feature work when 3.5 is basically done.

- Next release: 3.5
  - Feature Freeze: August 1st
  - Includes merge of KO/Pi [2] changes to KOrganizer
  - Includes usability improvements based on Openusability.org suggestions
  - Release with rest of KDE depending on the common 3.5 release plan

- Porting to Qt4
  - Start porting kdepim to Qt 4 at aKademy.
  - Reasoning: We won't be able to do the porting in parallel to doing 3.5
stuff and aKademy is a great opportunity to start the porting while many of
the people having experience with it are around.

- KDE PIM 4
  - Goal:  Get KDE PIM to the masses. Target large non-geek audience, not only
developers and power-users.
  - Manage complexity by removing unnecessary functionality, moving rarely
used functions to extensions, make user interface leaner, cleaner and more
directly usable.
  - Focus on workflows.
  - Adapt to the user.
  - Lots of ideas and plans are already floating around, you can add them to
the playground on pim.kde.org [3] if you like.
  - We will do more brainstorming.
  - Areas in the libs which need changes for kdepim: kresources, libkabc.

[1] http://pim.kde.org/development/meetings/nlpim1/index.php
[2] http://www.0700rogowski.net/html/ko_pi.html
[3] http://pim.kde.org/authorhelp.php#playground