List:       kde-policies
Subject:    legal issues around cover art
From:       Scott Wheeler <wheeler () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-11-08 17:15:02

Ok, so another sticky question -- and one that I don't feel comfortable
deciding on my own:

Displaying cover art in KDE's music players is a popular feature or requested
features.  As of yesterday JuK supports this, including an internet based
lookup using Google's image search.

However, I was reluctant to commit that and think (and even argued against
such just last week -- but it was part of a larger patch that I did want in).

There are two methods that are presently being used -- JuK is using Google
image search to fetch images that can then be saved locally, amaroK is using
Amazon's web services.  Unfortunately I think that both of these are of
dubious legality.  I'd like to hear other opinions on this as well.

*) Google image search -- this works by doing a search and displaying a dialog
that lets the user choose one of the images that's found.  However, these
images are naturally copyrighted.  I'm not sure if copying them to the local
hard drive for personal use can be viewed as fair use.  I'm not sure where
the legal line is between Google being able to cache them and us being able
to cache them locally.

*) Amazon web services -- this one has a clearly defined terms of use, but my
reading of these terms [1] (sections C and D specifically) is such that they
cannot be used in a GPL'ed app.  Specifically the requirements for linkage to
Amazon, linking to other stores being banned, not allowing certain uses of
the data, etc. seem problematic.  Specifically, if you took a GPL'ed
application and removed the line of code that caused it to link to Amazon it
would no longer be legal to redistribute said application.  This would seem
to contradict the terms of the GPL.

I tend to prefer the Google one since it seems to be at least in the gray area
to my mind, but I'm not sure if either is legal enough for inclusion in KDE.
Thoughts?

Cheers,

-Scott

[1]http://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.html/ref=sc_fe_c_1_13553801_4/102-1312546-3647361?%5Fencoding=UTF8&node=3440661&no=13553801&me=A36L942TSJ2AJA

--
There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer
shelf life.