List:       zeroconf-workers
Subject:    Re: [Zeroconf-workers] zcip repair mechanism
From:       Brad Hards <bhards () bigpond ! net ! au>
Date:       2004-07-01 11:58:35

On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 19:58 pm, Kutschenreuter Matthias wrote:
> But I dont understand, which conflicts are solved and which arent?
Only actual conflicts - not possible conflicts.

> E.g. I tried the following:
> - two connected devices and zcip running on both
> - zcip chooses a unique IP address for both devices
> - after a while, I mischievously assigned the IP address of the first
> device
>
> 	to the second device (manually: ifconfig eth0 <IP1>), so that
> 	both devices had the same IP addresses.
> In this situation, neither the zcip-process of the first nor zcip of the
> second device repairs the conflict. Is this behaviour as expected?
>
> Can you tell me: what would be a test situation, where an waiting zcip
> process would become active and solves an address conflict?
As above, but you need to arp for the shared address.

The reason why this is the case is that you may have a couple of machines that
come together for a small time (eg in an ad-hoc wireless network). If they
don't communicate, there is no need to change the IP address.

Brad