List:       solr-user
Subject:    Re: Reindexing strategy
From:       Dotan Cohen <dotancohen () gmail ! com>
Date:       2013-06-03 11:27:16

On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 3:57 AM, Michael Sokolov
<msokolov@safaribooksonline.com>gt wrote:
> On UNIX platforms, take a look at vmstat for basic I/O measurement, and
> iostat for more detailed stats.  One coarse measurement is the number of
> blocked/waiting processes - usually this is due to I/O contention, and you
> will want to look at the paging and swapping numbers - you don't want any
> swapping at all.  But the best single number to look at is overall disk
> activity, which is the I/O percentage utilized number Shaun was mentioning.
>
> -Mike

Great, thanks! I've got some terms to google. For those who follow in
my footsteps, on Ubuntu the package 'sysstat' needs to be installed to
use iostat. Here are my reference stats before starting to experiment,
both for my own use later to compare and also if anybody sees anything
amiss here then I would love to know about it. If there is any fine
manual that is particularly urgent that I should read, please do
mention it. Thanks!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il