List:       sendmail
Subject:    forwarded spam returned to postmaster
From:       Martin Paul <martin () par ! univie ! ac ! at>
Date:       2003-03-11 8:33:45

Some local users on my site (A) use a .forward file to forward all
their mail to an account on another site (B). As of now I'm doing
no spam filtering on my site. The problem is if the remote
site (B) does some kind of spam filtering.

Any spam received from site (S) sent to my site (A) is forwarded
to site (B). The spam filter there identifies it as spam, and
rejects the mail. Now it's my site (A) which generates a postmaster
notify, as it wasn't able to deliver the message. It then tries
to return the mail to the actual sender (the spammer), which usually
results in another postmaster notify as the message can't be
delivered. I'd like to get rid of those postmaster notifies, of
course without missing anything important.

Not sure if there really is a solution to this. Should site (B)
try to reject the mail directly to site (S) instead ?

Is there an option to throw away any mails receiving something
like "554 5.7.1 SPAM rejected: Spam score=10.8 >= 10" when trying
to deliver forwarded messages ?

I guess this must be a common problem. Even if I'd filter spam
on my local site, I'd still have to make sure that my filter
is stricter than any others mails get forwarded to.

mp.
--
                         Martin Paul | Systems Administrator
      Institute for Software Science | martin@par.univie.ac.at